The American Academy of Allergy Asthma & Immunology classifies allergies as one of the most common chronic conditions in the world. The immune system creates antibodies to fight off foreign substances and prevent the body from getting sick. When the system thinks a substance is falsely harmful, the result is an allergic reaction.
Such substances, also known as allergens, can be found in medication, the environment, or foods. Allergic reactions usually cause mild symptoms such as sneezing, watery eyes, or skin irritation. However, more severe conditions can induce anaphylaxis, a life-threatening condition, in which case you need to visit your San Antonio emergency room as soon as possible.
The Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America reports that:
- Nasal allergies affect roughly 50 million people in the US;
- 30% of adults and 40% of children are affected by allergies;
- Allergies are the 6th cause of chronic illness in the United States;
- According to a study conducted by the AAFA, one in 50 people can suffer from anaphylaxis, and many are not prepared to handle this reaction.
Though many people suffer from allergies to different extents, there are still a lot of misconceptions about them. Here are some Dos and Don’ts of allergic reactions:
- Consult your doctor for a diagnosis. The first step you should take when you notice a mild allergic symptom is to ask your physician for a professional opinion.
- Avoid the cause of your allergy as much as possible.
- Don’t use home remedies. Professionals will administer the best treatment option. Home-made solutions won’t help much.
- Don’t use over-the-counter medicine without consulting a doctor first.
- Skip on prescribed medication. Even if the symptoms seem to be more manageable, it’s not advised to steer away from the prescribed treatment plan.
If the person suffering from a severe allergy has self-injectable epinephrine, then it must be administered to them, then bring the patient to your neighborhood San Antonio emergency room as soon as possible.
Visit Physicians Premier Locations:
- Saratoga Emergency Room
- Staples Corpus Christi Emergency Room
- Ennis Joslin South Padre Island Emergency Room
- Portland Texas Emergency Room
- Calallen Texas Emergency Room
- San Antonio Emergency Room
- New Braunfels Emergency Room
- Bryan TX Emergency Room
- Clear Lake Emergency Room
San Antonio Emergency Room location: