Top Health Resolutions for the New Year
Every new year, we make resolutions to better ourselves. Yes, the start of the year is a wonderful time for a health reset, and healthy habits can indeed make our lives longer and happier. If you’re not sure how to start living healthier, it’s okay. We’ve put together some easy tips to help you set realistic goals to set you up for success.
Get More Quality Sleep
Adults need at least seven hours of sleep per night for optimal health. However, the CDC reports that more than a third of Americans struggle to meet this requirement. Sleep is vital for physical and mental well-being, impacting everything from mood to immune function.
How to Improve the Quantity and Quality of Your Sleep
- Establish a sleep routine – Go to bed and wake up at the same time daily, even on weekends. This helps regulate your body’s clock.
- Create a sleep-inducing environment – Make your bedroom quiet, dark, and cool. Consider using earplugs, eye shades, or white noise machines.
- Limit screen time before bed – The blue light from screens can interfere with your ability to fall asleep.
- Be mindful of what you eat and drink – Avoid large meals, caffeine, and alcohol before bedtime.
- Relaxation techniques – Activities like reading, taking a warm bath, or meditation can promote better sleep.
Become More Organized
A busy schedule can lead to prioritizing productivity at the expense of safety, which may result in burnout, a compromised immune system, and a higher likelihood of accidents.
Tips for Staying Organized and Healthy
- Plan your day – Use a planner or digital calendar to keep track of your commitments.
- Prioritize tasks – Focus on what’s most important and say no to unnecessary activities.
- Declutter regularly – A tidy space can reduce stress and improve focus.
- Take regular breaks – Short breaks throughout the day can prevent burnout.
- Practice self-care – Allocate time for activities that help you relax and recharge.
Make Better Food Choices
Healthy eating habits boost energy levels and strengthen the immune system.
Strategies for Healthier Eating
- Plan your meals – Planning helps you make healthier choices and avoid impulse eating.
- Incorporate whole foods – Focus on fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins.
- Read food labels – Be aware of what’s in your food, especially sugar and sodium content.
- Hydrate properly – Drink plenty of water throughout the day.
- Moderation is key – It’s okay to indulge occasionally but focus on moderation.
Physicians Premier: Your Go-To in Emergencies
Emergencies are unpredictable. Knowing where to go can save precious time and lives.
- Familiarize yourself with locations – Physicians Premier has multiple locations across Texas. Know the nearest one to your home, work, and other frequently visited places.
- Understand what constitutes an emergency – Recognize the signs of serious conditions like heart attacks, strokes, and severe injuries.
- Keep emergency contacts handy – Have a list of essential contacts, including your nearest Physicians Premier location.
- First Aid basics – Knowing basic first aid can be crucial while waiting for emergency services.
- Stay calm and informed – In an emergency, staying calm and informed helps you make better decisions.
Incorporating these healthy habits into your daily routine can significantly impact your health and well-being. Remember, small changes can lead to big improvements. Stay healthy and safe this 2024!
“1 in 3 adults don’t get enough sleep,” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, https://archive.cdc.gov/#/details?url=https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2016/p0215-enough-sleep.html
“Tips for Better Sleep,” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, https://www.cdc.gov/sleep/about_sleep/sleep_hygiene.html
“How To Organize Your Day at Work: 15 Tips for Success,” Indeed, https://www.indeed.com/career-advice/career-development/how-to-organize-your-day-at-work
“8 tips for healthy eating,” NHS, https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/how-to-eat-a-balanced-diet/eight-tips-for-healthy-eating/