Back-to-School Health and Safety
This blog is intended for educational purposes, and should rot replace a medical diagnosis by a licensed medical professional. If you are in an emergency, please contact your local emergency room. No matter what grade your child is about to enter, there’s always the annual back-to-school list of things to do. Physicians Premier is a freestanding emergency room with locations across Texas. We are committed to keeping your family healthy. Here’s our back-to-school checklist, designed to keep your child healthy and safe. Yearly physical exam – While not especially urgent, an annual physical exam will help ensure that your child is healthy for the school year ahead. Immunizations are essential for people of all ages, especially children. Today is a convenient time for putting that exam in your family’s schedule.
Here are some recommended vaccines, especially for kids 11-12 years old:
- Quadrivalent meningococcal conjugate vaccine
- Tdap vaccine
- Flu vaccine
Stock up on nutritious foods!
Nutrition: children who eat a healthy breakfast function better – they have more energy and focus.
- Foods rich in calcium – this is vital for growth and bone development.
- Calcium-rich foods include yogurt, cheese, and milk.
- Fiber – the amount of fiber your child needs is largely dependent on their age, so ask your doctor about how much is good for their diet. Fiber is in cereal, oatmeal, and fruits.
- Vitamin C and E – vitamin C and E are both powerful antioxidants that help ward off illnesses. They can be found in oranges, red bell pepper, nuts, spinach, and avocados.
Here are some elements of a good pre-bedtime routine:
Sleep: developing a good sleep routine is essential for your child to be successful in school. Kids who don’t get sufficient sleep have difficulty learning and concentrating. Set a consistent bedtime routine and make sure that your child sticks to it.
- Have your child turn off the TV or any electronic gadget well before bedtime
- A calming pre-bedtime routine may involve a warm bath and a bedtime story
- Try to have the home as calm and quiet as possible when younger children are trying to fall asleep
As you prepare for the upcoming school year, know that you can turn to Physicians Premier is a Bryan emergency room, with other ER locations across Texas, that provide emergency medical care. Our board-certified physicians, experienced medical staff, and fully-equipped facility make it easy for us to care for our community.